Friday, October 19, 2007

Apple Sauced

















Aunt Connie agreed to share some apples from her tree and brought them down last weekend. Little did we know that she would show up with 12 moving boxes full. 12!! We stacked all the boxes in my sewing room and turned on the air conditioner to keep them cool until we could get to them. Today was the day.


Aunt Shelley stood at the stove all day, Grandpa cranked the apple peeler (with a smirk on his face cuz it was fun to him ;) ) Uncle Don and Dad were designated corers and I rotated around and spelled folks who needed a break, made the syrup and washed bottles. Dad was also in charge of the canner which was outside.


We bottled 80 pints of applesauce and 44 quarts of sliced apples. AND STILL ONLY EMPTIED HALF OF THE BOXES. And besides being so productive, we fed the peels and cores to the horses, goats and chickens next door! How's that for do-gooding??
Of course, now I can't let anybody actually EAT any. Too much work!






5 comments:

Julie said...

I wish I was there to help, so then I could take home my fair share!!!:) Good for you guys! That's a lot of busy, sticky work!
You for got one thing on your job description, though...photo journalist!
Love you tons!

jackie said...

That's a lot of apples! Even though it's work, it sounds like a lot of fun! You couldn't ask for better co-workers!

Pauline said...

You have been having way to much fun. You will need to stop that and go to work. No really I am so impressed. That was allot of work. You are awesome.

Julie said...

I should really proof-read my comments before I publish them! Really I can spell...sometimes!heehee

ps thanks for the comments on Cordin's blog...made his day!

Grammie & Papa Rex said...

You are doing better than me. The most I have done since we moved to Idaho is 30 pints of cherry jam from our little bushes in the front along the driveway. Maybe I'll have more time next year. Our growing season is so short!

Linda Lundquist